Custom "Descant" horn features light responsive action.
About Yamaha Custom Horns
Yamaha's Handmade Custom Horns are unparalleled in comfort and sound quality. Hand-lapped rotary valves and slides provide airtight, smooth, flawless action. Articulated rotor levers and hollow phosphor bronze rotors promise responsive, light action. The hand hammered one-piece annealed bell responds consistently in all ranges.
YAC HR32C4 Horn mouthpiece; larger rim diameter and first cup volume than 30C4 for clear tone, flexible response in all registers
YAC HRC-HF French horn case
YAC 1012P Premium rotor oil
YHR-881 Model Options
Yamaha offers a number of variable options for select instruments.
YHR-881D - Same as YHR-881; except detachable bell and HRC-HFD case; unlacquered finish
- Hand-lapped rotary valves and slides: Rotary valves and slides that have been hand-lapped are airtight and have smooth action.
- Articulated key levers: Articulated key levers have responsive motion.
- Hammered and annealed bell: Hammering and annealing are processes so important to the instrument's acoustic characteristics that Yamaha employs computer-controlled equipment to ensure consistently superior sound. Hammering enables bells to have a rich, resonant tone that blends beautifully with other instruments. Annealing is a cooling and heating process that makes it easier to control the acoustics of the instrument.
- Phosphor bronze rotors: Rotors made of phosphor bronze resist corrosion.
- Cyclical bore: A cyclical bore is a perfectly cylindrical tubing assembly in combination with a conical leadpipe and bell system. This allows for consistent air flow throughout the horn.
- Tapered valves: Tapered valves wear for a long time without air leakage
- Secure note centers
- Accurate pitch
- Even response
- Tonal clarity and flexibility: The tonal clarity and flexibility of the YHR-881 makes it ideal for baroque music, chamber music, and orchestral music because it overcomes the low-range difficulties typical of descant horns by additionally serving as a single Bb horn. The YHR-882 improves on this feature even further by adding the F natural valve to give more body to the tone in the low register.
- Long rotor valve: The innovative thumb valve configuration on the YHR-881 replaces linked valves, thereby reducing friction, promoting faster response, producing exquisite sound, and improving hand comfort.
- Excellent sound in all registers: The combination of the secure high register and quick attack of the descant horn with the rich, warm timbre of the single Bb horn make the double descant horn ideal for many playing situations.
- Level Custom Descant
- Key Bb/ F alto
- Style Descant
- Bore 0.472"
- Bell Diameter 12 1/8"
- Bell throat Medium small / Medium large
- Leadpipe Material Gold brass
- Body/ Bell Material Yellow brass
- Bell Type Fixed; Detachable (YHR-881D)
- Finish Unlacquered
- Mouthpiece 32C4
- Rotors (5) Hollow phosphor bronze
- Rotor Casing Nickel silver
- Lever Action Mechanical
- Water Key Yes
- Features Patented "Dual Plane" 4th rotor;F natural 5th valve