The Xeno features heavier gauge brass and a thick-walled, one-piece brazed bell which has been hand-hammered thousands of times for the ultimate in a big orchestral sound. The open-wrap F section gives a free-blowing response and the entire instrument has an evenness and balance you have to experience to believe. The tone is flexible with myriad tonal colors, and gives you both powerful projection at fortissimo and subtle control in the most delicate passages. This may well be the most expressive orchestral style trombone ever created.
About Yamaha Xeno Trombones
Yamaha Xeno Trombones, developed with the assistance of key orchestral players and soloists throughout the world, represent some of the finest instruments using the most advanced design technology available. These trombones offer a rich, projecting sound with a solid core and a wide spectrum of tonal colors.
YSL-881 Model Options
Yamaha offers a number of variable options for select instruments.
YSL-881G - Same as YSL-881, except with a gold-brass bell
YSL-881S//SP - Same as YSL-881, except with a silver plated finish
- One piece hand hammered bell: A one-piece bell has an axial (lengthwise) seam, making it a continuous extension of the instrument's material. This results in pure, uniform resonance and superior tone.
- Larger bell: The bell is 8 11/16" in diameter. The larger bell in combination with other design improvements, produces a singing, colorful open sound with a projecting solid core.
- Narrow slide: Having a narrow slide results in a faster slide technique allowing the player to get around the horn easier.
- Rounded Slide Crook: Eliminating sharp turns in the crook will open the feel and response of the instrument.
- Counter Balance Weight: Adding a weight contributes to the trombones focused projecting sound.
- Slide lock: The unique slide lock design on all Yamaha trombones keeps the slide locked in place and keeps it from accidentally falling.
- Pressure-formed tubing: Perfectly rounded tubing results in less turbulence and smoother air flow.
- Newly designed case: The new case is a compact contoured shape.
- Optional Features: Gold Brass Bell ( YSL-881G )
- Level: Xeno Tenor
- Key of Bb
- Bore ML: 0.547"
- Bell Diameter: 8 11/16"
- Shank: Medium
- Leadpipe: Gold Brass; Fixed
- Body Material: Yellow Brass
- Bell Material: Yellow Brass; One-piece; Hand Hammered
- Weight: Standard
- Finish: Clear Epoxy Lacquer
- Inner Slide: Chrome-plated Nickel Silver; Drawn
- Outer Slide: Yellow Brass; Drawn; One-piece
- Mouthpiece: Peter Sullivan Replica Series
- Features: Narrow Slide
- Options: Gold Brass Bell (YSL-881G)